In honour of “Bike to Work Day” 2017, I wanted to share a great resource for cyclists or people thinking about becoming a cyclist in the city. First and foremost,
Why do I ride?
- Transportation with the lowest environmental impact
- Cheaper than $140.00/ month for a Metropass
- I can get fit while getting my errands done
- Fresh air
- It makes me smile!
- Getting soaked riding in the rain to a business meeting
- Can’t drink a coffee on the way to work
- Riding your bike in the city can be dangerous
The first two drawbacks can be solved with good gear and good planning but the biggest obstacle to cycling the city is often fear! Of course, riding, walking or driving in the city will be dangerous if you don’t follow the rules of the road. A predictable biker is a safer biker. Cycle Toronto is a not-for-profit organization that provides excellent resources to help conquer your fears and to teach you ways to make riding safer and more convenient. Download their handbook in English here.